City officials in North Vernon are considering measures to better serve city employees and help out those who need it most.
City Council voted Monday night to adopt a 2020 salary ordinance that sets pay ranges for city employees. Council also discussed a proposal to to standardize the percentage of which the city pays for vision and dental benefits. City officials say that currently, some employees are paying more than others. The idea would see the city cover 90 percent of the insurance premium costs, while the employee picks up the remaining 10 percent.
The council is also considering developing a “sick time leave bank” for city employees. Clerk-Treasurer Shawn Gerkin explains that he spoke with Jennings County Schools officials, as they have a similar program, to identify a pathway to implementation. The idea is that employees could donate a portion of their earned time off to other employees who have suffered injury or illness and are not collecting a paycheck. The council discussed the proposal and indicated support, if certain measures were put in place to avoid abuse of the system.
Council took no action on either proposal, but members indicated they would be open to considering them.