Local Sports Voice
Tune in every morning for a recap on the local sports scene from Sports Director, Sam Simmermaker. As a 2006 Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame inductee, Sam is a legend in the state of Indiana. His awards include member of the Indiana Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association Hall of Fame (1998)…Sportscaster of the Year in 1971…National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association Board Member since 2000 and twice Indiana Sportscaster of the year (1976 and 1997).
For the best local high school broadcasts, tune into 1010 WCSI and Sam Simmermaker.
Local Sports Updates from Sam Simmermaker
Tuesday, October 19th
Columbus North Football Note
For the third time in four years, North is the undisputed, undefeated Conference Indiana champion. North has lost only four Conference Indiana grid contests since 2016.
All-District 8 Boys Soccer
- Columbus East’s Chris Quisenberry, First Team
- Korbin Hatcher, Second Team
Indiana Ass’n. of Track & Cross Country Coaches Academic All-State Teams
- Columbus North: Girls- First Team- Alyssa Green, Abby Jacobi, & Katherine Rumsey; Honorable Mention- Nicole Meza
- Columbus North: Boys- First Team- Sam Hobbehetdar and Will Littrell
- Columbus East: Girls- First Team- Laurel Knight and Jordan Spurgeon
- Hauser: Amanda Steward and Callie Swegman
Columbus East Girls Basketball
- The annual East girls Orange-White Game will be held Monday at 6:00 PM at the Orange Pit with free admission.
- East will scrimmage Jennings County on Wednesday, October 27th, at the Orange Pit at 6:00 PM.
Columbus native Nate Herman has been named Director of Grounds and Agronomy at Kenwood Country Club in Cincinnati. Herman played soccer at Columbus East. He had been employed since 2017 as Golf Course Superintendent at Harbor Shores Golf Course at Benton Harbor, Michigan.
Noah Lykins, Columbus North senior, is putting the finishing touches on his Senior Project, a Par 3 Golf Scramble to benefit the Lily Streeval Academic Fund. The date is this Saturday at 1:00 PM at Par 3. Cost is $25 and donations will be welcome as well. Players should report at Noon, oo get in touch earlier with Lykins at 812-447-9011.
Monday, October 18th
Columbus’ Olympic swimmer Michael Brinegar was presented with a “Sagamore of the Wabash” honor prior to the Colts game Sunday afternoon by Governor Holcomb.
Former Bull Dog runner and freshman at Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tenn., Mackenzie Barrett, had a great cross country weekend. She ran her first 6K and was third on her team with a 20:37 clocking. Mackenzie and the two teammates ahead of her in the race all broke the school record.
Hauser soccer coach Barry Grimes has been named Mid-Hoosier Conference Coach of the Year!
Columbus North boys and girls won the Columbus North Cross Country Regional and will advance to the Brown County Semi-State along with Columbus East girls, a third place finisher. North had perfect scores as the Bull Dogs garnered the first five spots in both races.
- Columbus East won the Martinsville Volleyball Sectional defeating Bloomington North 3-0 and Martinsville 3-0
- Hauser lost to Waldron in the Edinburgh Volleyball Sectional 15-25, 20-25, & 25-27
- Columbus East “C” Team lost to Bedford North Lawrence 29-8
- Columbus North Jayvees defeated Terre Haute South 29-20
- Columbus North won the Freshman game 22-14
Monday is the first official practice day for girls high school basketball.
Saturday, October 16th
- Columbus East 31 Bedford North Lawrence 15
- Columbus North 36 Terre Haute South 0; Bull Dogs win Conference Indiana crown outright
State Boys Tennis Quarterfinals
- Columbus North 3 Munster 2
- Bull Dogs face Carmel in semifinals at Carmel at 10:00 AM
Friday, October 15th
Friday Night Football
- Columbus East home to Bedford North Lawrence- 7:00 PM
- Columbus North home to Terre Haute South- 7:30 PM; Bull Dogs can claim the Conference Indiana title outright with a victory
Regional Men’s Soccer Semifinal at BCSC Complex
- Castle 3 Columbus East 1
Martinsville Volleyball Sectional
- Columbus East defeated Bloomington South in four: 25-18, 25-19, 20-25, & 25-16
- East will face the East Central-Bloomington North winner Saturday at 12:30 PM at Martinsville
The Columbus North-Munster State Boys Tennis match on Friday has been moved to the UIndy Tennis Center. There will be no admission to enter the facility. Play begins at Noon. Address: 2727 National Avenue, Indianapolis
Thursday, October 14th
Regional Girls Soccer Semifinal
- Bloomington South 4 Columbus North 0
Wednesday, October 13th
At the first round of the Martinsville Volleyball Sectional, Martinsville defeated Columbus North 25-19, 25-13, & 26-24.
Columbus North’s Alexia Heafner has announced her verbal commitment to Lincoln Trail Community College in Robinson, Illinois, to further her academic and softball careers.
Columbus North and Bloomington South girls soccer meet Wednesday night at 6:00 PM at the BCSC Soccer Complex in a regional semifinal.
Academic All-State Volleyball
- Columbus East: Kaitlyn carothers, Cadence Gilley, Katy Jordan, and Reece Whitehead
- Columbus North: Sarah Bennett, Grace Chapman, Sydney Cooper, Reagan Kane, Emma Martin, and Paige Osbourne
- Hauser: Andie Clark and Gabby Johns
Live Sports Broadcast Schedule
|Fri., October 29||Columbus East at Whiteland- Sectional- Semifinal||6:20 P / 7:00 P|
|Tue., November 23||Heritage Christian at Columbus North||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Wed., November 24||Columbus East at Silver Creek||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Fri., November 26||Jennings County at Columbus North||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Sat., November 27||Noblesville at Columbus East||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Tue., November 30||Whiteland at Columbus East||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Fri., December 3||Silver Creek at Columbus North||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Sat., December 4||Southwestern Hanover at Columbus East||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Fri., December 10||Columbus North at Fishers||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Thu., December 16||Columbus East at Columbus North- Girls||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Fri., December 17||Columbus North at Columbus East- Boys||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Sat., December 18||Scottsburg at Columbus North||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Fri., January 7||Terre Haute North at Columbus North||5:50 P / 6:30 P|
|Tue., January 11||Shelbyville at Columbus East||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Fri., January 14||Bloomington South at Columbus East||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Sat., January 15||Seymour at Columbus East||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Tue., January 18||Mooresville at Columbus East||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Fri., January 21||Waldron at Hauser||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Sat., January 22||Perry Meridian at Columbus North||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Fri., January 28||Columbus East at East Central||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Sat., January 29||Bloomington North at Columbus East||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Tue., February 1||Girls Sectional at Bloomington North- First Round||TBD|
|Thu., February 3||Columbus North at South Decatur||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Fri., February 4||Girls Sectional at Bloomington North- Semifinals||TBD|
|Sat., February 5||East Central at Columbus North||1:50 P / 2:30 P|
|Sat., February 5||Girls Sectional at Bloomington North- Final||TBD|
|Fri., February 11||Bloomington South at Columbus North||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Sat., February 12||Girls Regional at Columbus North||TBD|
|Sat., February 12||Franklin at Columbus East||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Fri., February 18||Madison at Columbus East||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Sat., February 19||Girls Semi-State||TBD|
|Sat., February 19||Columbus North at Franklin||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Thu., February 24||Center Grove at Columbus North||6:50 P / 7:30 P|
|Sat., February 26||Girls State Finals||TBD|
|Tue., March 1||Boys Sectional at Martinsville- First Round||TBD|
|Sat., March 5||Boys Sectional at Martinsville||TBD|
|Sat., March 12||Boys Regional at Seymour||TBD|
|Sat., March 19||Boys Semi-State||TBD|
|Sat., March 26||Boys State Finals at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis||TBD|