Local Sports Voice
Tune in every morning for a recap on the local sports scene from Sports Director, Sam Simmermaker. As a 2006 Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame inductee, Sam is a legend in the state of Indiana. His awards include member of the Indiana Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association Hall of Fame (1998)…Sportscaster of the Year in 1971…National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association Board Member since 2000 and twice Indiana Sportscaster of the year (1976 and 1997).
For the best local high school broadcasts, tune into 1010 WCSI and Sam Simmermaker.
Local Sports Updates from Sam Simmermaker
Tuesday, July 27th
- Michael Brinegar finished 7th in his heat at the Olympic 800 freestyle prelims and 17th out of 34 competitors overall. He was seeded 16th. The top 8 swimmers advanced to the finals. Brinegar will be in action again on Friday for the 1500 freestyle prelims, where he is seeded 20th out of 28.
Monday, July 26th
- The champion in the USTA Midwest Open Girls 18 Tennis Tourney at Columbus North is Lauren Hartfield , a junior from Chicago. She was the 8th seed, and defeated 14 seed Rachel Smith, a 13 year old from Naperville, IL, 6-2 and 6-4. In doubles, Kathryn Wilson, Columbus North sophomore-to-be, and Emma Gu of West Lafayette copped the title with an 8-5 win.
- Columbus North junior-to-be Lauren Barker, playing summer basketball with the Indiana Flight, scored 14 and 18 points, respectively, at the Girls Under Armour Association finals in Pennsylvania.
- Columbus Wolverines fifth grade summer basketball team finished second at the Franklin Summer Sizzler Tourney. The 9th grade summer team advanced to the semifinals before losing to Boston Harbor, Michigan. That wraps up the summer AAU season, and now the cagers will head to Indiana US Amateur Basketball League play in August and September. Corey Seegers, the former bull Dog, coaches the fifth graders.
- Wayne Noble of Columbus played on the Chi-Town Assault team in the Senior World Slo-Pitch Softball Tourney in Columbus over the weekend. Competing in the 50s-AAA division, the team played eight games and finished in 4th place.
- Teresa “Bug” Brown of Columbus and her partner finished in third place in the women’s 3.5+ division at the Decatur County Family YMCA Indoor Pickleball Tourney. In the first round they defeated the eventual champions.
- Columbus East season athletic tickets are now on sale. They may be purchased in the East guidance office Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – Noon and 1:00 – 3:00 PM.
Sunday, July 25th
- The annual Columbus City Tennis Tournament gets underway on Friday at Columbus North. Entry deadline is 1:00 PM Monday. About 100 players will be competing.
- USATF Masters Track Championships: Ex-Bull Dog Lee Bridges won the national championship in the 50-54 age division 400 meters (55.54) and was second in the 200 (23.91).
- Putt-Putt Golf of Columbus hosted the annual Legend Golf Tourney. Pro Division winner was Nate Nichols of Columbus. Nichols also was named Miniature Golf Putter of the Year. Saturday and Sunday he had a 196 aggregate over 8 rounds. Amateur division winner was Mike Mitchell of Cincinnati who was at 205 for 8 rounds.
- Columbus East assistant football coach David Miller has been named to the Indiana High School Football Hall of Fame.
- Columbus East girls soccer coach Ilya Schwartzman says it is not too late for incoming female freshman at East who are interested in playing Olympian soccer to get involved in the program. Ladies should contact the coach by calling the East Athletic Department at 812-376-4365.
Friday, July 23rd
- Former Bull Dog and I-U gridder Jake Reed has accepted a position as an offensive line coach at Stetson University. Reed had been a graduate offensive line assistant coach at Memphis.
- Former Olympian football players Alex Cowan and Rob Hufty will serve as Columbus east varsity assistants this season. Cowan will be quarterback coach and Hufty will coach the punters.
- Central Middles School’s football team camp will be July 26th – 30th.
- Central will have a new seventh grade grid coach this season. He is East graduate Adam Anderson.
Wednesday, July 21st
- Hauser’s Frankie Poole has signed for baseball at Calumet College in Whiting, IN
- Columbus North tennis star Ashlie Wilson, Class of 2022, has committed to Purdue
Live Sports Broadcast Schedule
|Fri., August 20||Columbus East at Whiteland||6:20 P / 7:00 P|
|Fri., August 27||Columbus North at Columbus East||6:20 P / 7:00 P|
|Fri., September 3||Southport at Columbus North||6:20 P / 7:00 P|
|Fri., September 10||Columbus East at Jennings County||6:20 P / 7:00 P|
|Fri., September 17||Cathedral at Columbus North||6:20 P / 7:00 P|
|Fri. September 24||Floyd Central at Columbus East||6:20 P / 7:00 P|
|Fri. October 1||Bloomington South at Columbus North||6:20 P / 7:00 P|
|Fri., October 8||Columbus East at Jeffersonville||6:20 P / 7:00 P|
|Fri., October 15||Bedford North Lawrence at Columbus East||6:20 P / 7:00 P|