No injuries reported in a Thursday night house fire in the 5200 block of West Quan Wae Drive.
The German Township Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to the scene at about 10 p.m. after a resident heard noises in the basement then noticed the house was rapidly filling with smoke.
Fire Chief Matt Lynch says that Engine 81, Rescue 81, Tanker 81 and Chief 801 responded within minutes later to find smoke pouring from the front door. Crews used a thermal imaging camera to see through the thick smoke and located the fire in a utility room. They then used a pressurized water extinguisher to put the fire out.
Investigators say the fire started in the back-up battery system for the sump pump. The fire rapidly spread up the wall to the ceiling. They add that the fire caused a water pipe along the ceiling to break open and pour water onto the fire, acting as a sprinkler and keeping it small.
Authorities say that smoke detectors also alerted the family to the fire. Four adults, a three-month old and three dogs got out of the house safely.
No damage estimates were available.