A Jennings County man was arrested early Tuesday morning on drug charges. North Vernon Police say that just before 1 a.m., officers stopped a vehicle for an equipment violation. During the traffic stop, officers began to suspect that the driver, 24-year-old William B. Michaels III, of North Vernon, was involved in drug activity.
A drug recognition evaluation was performed on Michaels and police determined that he was driving under the influence of a controlled substance. Authorities say that a subsequent investigation and search revealed that Michaels was in possession of marijuana, psilocybin mushrooms, digital scales and other items of drug paraphernalia.
Michaels was arrested on preliminary charges of:
1. Possession of a Controlled Substance – Level 6 Felony
2. Maintaining a Common Nuisance – Class A Misdemeanor
3. Possession of Paraphernalia – Class A Misdemeanor
4. Operating a Vehicle while Intoxicated – Class A misdemeanor
5. Possession of Marijuana – Class B misdemeanor
Michaels is being held on $1,055 cash bond. His vehicle was impounded.