An electrical fire damaged a home on 13th Street Friday morning.
At about 10 a.m., Columbus Firefighters were called to the 2100 block of 13th Street for a residential fire. Columbus Police officers were first to arrive on the scene, and initially reported no evidence of fire. After further examination of the home, officers later reported smoke was visible at the rear of the home in what appeared to be an attached garage. When firefighters arrived on the scene the amount smoke had increased and was visible from the street. The home was cleared of occupants.
Firefighters suspected that the fire was isolated within the attached garage at the rear of the residence. They entered the home and made their way to the garage, where firefighters found flames and a high concentration of smoke. The fire was extinguished quickly and was contained to the garage of the 700 square-foot home.
Firefighters say high heat and flames damaged the interior walls separating the garage from the home. Flames also damaged the homes water heater. Due to damages the homes utility system, the power and water utility have been disconnected until repairs are made.
Investigators determined that the garage fire was electrical in nature. Damages are estimated at approximately $5,000 to the building and its contents. No Injuries were reported.
The Columbus Fire Department is taking this opportunity to remind you that, nationally, winter months have historically seen an increase in home fires. While the most common cause of fire remains cooking fires, electrical and heating fires also increase during the winter months.