A kitchen fire threatened a Columbus home last night on Coovert Street.
Capt. Mike Wilson, spokesman for the city fire department, says that cooking oil ignited on the stove and the fire quickly spread to the range top and nearby cabinets. The resident tried to fight the fire with a fire extinguisher, but when that didn’t work, fled the home and called firefighters at about 8:10 p.m. last night.
Wilson says firefighters used extinguishers to put the fire out and were able to contain the flames to the kitchen area. Firefighters used large ventilation fans to air out the space.
He estimated damages at about $15,000.
No one was injured in the fire and working smoke alarms were found in the home.