R. Kelly sued by Mississippi deputy over alleged affair with man's wife

Apr 26, 2017 23

A Mississippi sheriff’s deputy has filed a lawsuit against R&B superstar R. Kelly over an alleged affair Kelly had with the deputy’s wife. 

In the lawsuit, Hinds County Deputy Kenny Bryant claimed that he had suffered “emotional, psychological and financial loss” due to the actions of the “Ignition” singer. 

Bryant claims that his wife, Asia Childress, admitted to having a relationship with Kelly prior to their wedding in July 2012. The deputy alleges that Kelly and Childress rekindled their relationship that October after she went to one of his concerts.

Soon after, Bryant said Childress convinced him to quit his job and move to Atlanta, ostensibly to further his career. However, he believes Childress’ motive was to continue her affair with Kelly. 

According to the lawsuit, Childress repeatedly traveled to nearby states to attend R. Kelly concerts and rendezvous with the singer. The suit also alleges that Childress contracted chlamydia from Kelly around the time they began seeing each other again. 

Click for more from MSNewsNow.com.

JFK diary written in post-WWII Europe sells for $718,000

Apr 26, 2017 21

A diary kept by John F. Kennedy during his brief stint as a journalist after World War II has sold for more than $718,000 at auction.

Boston-based RR Auction says the diary sold Wednesday for $718,750, far exceeding the pre-sale estimate of $200,000. It says the winning bid was made in person by JFK collector Joseph Alsop, of Beverly.

The diary was written in 1945 when the 28-year-old Kennedy was a correspondent for Hearst newspapers and traveled through a devastated Europe.

It provides insights into Kennedy’s thoughts on world leaders of the era. Kennedy reflects on the legacy of Hitler and presages the future of the United Nations.

The 61-page diary was given by Kennedy to Deirdre Henderson, a research assistant in his campaign office in the late 1950s.

ESPN lays off about 100 employees, including Danny Kanell, Ed Werder

Apr 26, 2017 26

It’s a dark day at ESPN.

The sports broadcasting network sent a memo to employees early Wednesday, informing them that a series of previously announced layoffs would take place today. Familiar faces like Ed Werder, Danny Kanell, Jayson Stark, Trent Dilfer and Brett McMurphy are among those who have been let go. 

The total number of employees cut will be around 100, Fox News has learned. 

The memo, from ESPN President John Skipper, noted that the network’s new talent lineup will be announced soon. 

“Dynamic change demands an increased focus on versatility and value, and as a result, we have been engaged in the challenging process of determining the talent—anchors, analysts, reporters, writers and those who handle play-by-play—necessary to meet those demands,” Skipper wrote to employees. “We will implement changes in our talent lineup this week. A limited number of other positions will also be affected and a handful of new jobs will be posted to fill various needs.

“These decisions impact talented people who have done great work for our company. I would like to thank all of them for their efforts and their many contributions to ESPN.”

ESPN TO CUT ON-AIR TALENT

A source with knowlege of the situation told Fox News that despite buzz that the planned number of layoffs has grown in recent weeks, the gameplan was always to cut around 100 people. 

ESPN also outlined the network’s new strategy in a post on its media website published Wednesday. The company is placing an increased focused on its ESPN App with a “multi-screen approach around big events.”

“On the horizon is more live news video and enhanced video and audio streaming,” the release stated.

ESPN also plans to bolster its online presence.

“Our goal continues to be to maximize our unparalleled scale in every medium with storytelling that stands out and makes a difference. We are well-equipped to thrive going forward by embracing these themes.”

Serena Williams announced pregnancy by accident

Apr 26, 2017 15

According to Serena Williams, the world wasn’t supposed to know about her pregnancy — at least not yet.

The 35-year-old tennis champion told Gayle King at the TED2017 Conference in Vancouver on Tuesday night that she was taking a personal photo of her progressing baby bump on Snapchat when she accidentally pressed the wrong button, making the post public.

SERENA WILLIAMS ANNOUNCES PREGNANCY

The image featured Williams in a bathing suit with the caption “20 weeks.” It immediately made headlines around the world last week. Her publicist later confirmed the pregnancy to The Associated Press.

Williams added that the mishap wasn’t a big deal because she planned to share the news shortly.

As for tennis? Williams announced she plans to return to the court after becoming a mom.

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

“My baby is going to be in the stands, hopefully cheering for me and not crying too much,” she said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Jonathan Demme dead; 'Silence of the Lambs' director was 73

Apr 26, 2017 15

Jonathan Demme, the Oscar-winning director of “Silence of the Lambs,” died on Wednesday in his New York City apartment of complications from cancer. He was 73.

A rep for Demme told Fox News, “Sadly, I can confirm that Jonathan passed away early this morning in his Manhattan apartment, surrounded by his wife, Joanne Howard, and three children. He died from complications from esophageal cancer and is survived by his children Ramona, age 29, and her husband James Molloy, Brooklyn, age 26, and Jos, age 21.”

Demme’s funeral will be private.

“In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that donations be made to Americans For Immigrant Justice in Miami, Fla.,” the rep stated.
 

Evin Cosby: Dad Bill Cosby 'is not abusive, violent or a rapist'

Apr 26, 2017 20

Bill Cosby’s youngest daughter is defending her famous father against a looming sexual assault trial.

Evin Cosby wrote an opinion piece for the National Newspaper Publishers Association where she revealed that the 79-year-old comedian “is not abusive, violent or a rapist.”

BILL COSBY LOSES APPEAL TO QUESTION ACCUSER BEFORE TRIAL

In the article, which was published on Wednesday, she wrote that he “loves and respect women.” And while Evin did acknowledged that Bill had affairs, she insisted that he and her mother “have worked through it and moved on.”

Evin also stated that the accusations are “harsh and hurtful” and have been “carelessly repeated as truth.”

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Bill is charged with drugging and molesting Andrea Constand in 2004. He has pleaded not guilty and the trial is scheduled to begin near Philadelphia with jury selection next month. Dozens of other women have also made similar accusations against the star.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Erin Moran's brother goes after Scott Baio?

Apr 26, 2017 18

Chachi better watch his back.

Scott Baio came under fire earlier this week for comments he made speculating that his former “Happy Days” co-star Erin Moran died due to substance abuse before her cause of death – complications from stage 4 cancer – was revealed. Now, Twitter and Facebook accounts that reportedly belong to Moran’s brother are firing back.

In a statement about Moran’s death, Baio called her his “first real girlfriend” and said he was “sad, in disbelief, sick to my stomach and in complete shock” when he learned of her death.

“A special shout out to Scott Baio,” Tony Moran reportedly wrote on Facebook. “I already went on Twitter about you. I hope it finds you. You and my lil sis had a very very brief fling… Scott, I’d advise you to get on your knees and pray you never run into me.”

ERIN MORAN’S HUSBAND DETAILS HER LAST MOMENTS

The former horror movie actor (Moran had an acting role in 1978’s “Halloween”) reportedly added, “Well guys. Guess what? I was contacted by Scott Baio’s wife. His wife! F–king coward! I’ve never met her. I do know the scumbag piece of s–t Scott Baio tho. He was a piece of s–t back then and still is. He had his wife contact me! Very apologetic and s–t. Doesn’t surprise me. It’s too late…”

A rep for Tony Moran could not immediately be reached for comment.

SCOTT BAIO UNDER FIRE FOR COMMENTS ABOUT ERIN MORAN

On Monday, Baio spoke on “The Bernie & Sid Show.” During the conversation, Baio reacted to media reports that claimed his co-star died of drug use.

“I feel bad because her whole life she was troubled, could never find what made her happy and content, you know what I mean?” he told the radio hosts. “For me, you do drugs or drink, you’re gonna die. And I’m sorry if that’s cold, but… God gave you a brain, gave you the will to live and thrive, and you gotta take care of yourself. I’m sorry. You just have to, and I am saddened by what happened.

“And I don’t know if it was drugs that killed her,” he added quickly. “I read one report that it might have been. And I hope it – you know, I don’t know what I hope.”

Baio later shared a lengthy Facebook post outlining why he made those comments.

The “Joanie Loves Chachi” star said he was “still upset up” when he conducted the radio interview.

He wrote, “Please stop assuming the [worst] in me. I’m a compassionate person. I’m very heartbroken over her passing…”

Selena Gomez debuts a shorter haircut on social media, earns instant praise from fans

Apr 26, 2017 18

Selena Gomez is ready for a new look.

The 24-year-old singer and actress chopped off her signature long tresses and instead, opted for a jaw-sweeping bob haircut. She posted a photo of the latest style via Instagram on Tuesday.

SELENA GOMEZ LANDS $10 MILLION TO BECOME THE FACE OF COACH

Within an hour of being up on the social media app, the image had over a million likes and fans seemed impressed by the major chop.

“She looks perfect,” one viewer wrote.

“Better than long hair,” wrote another.

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

“That looks wonderful! Very nice,” added an admirer.

It’s unknown whether Gomez actually made the bold move or if she’s wearing a wig for a photoshoot.

Looming TV writers strike could help Trump

Apr 26, 2017 18

If there is one person who is looking forward to a writers strike, it would be President Donald Trump.

The Writers Guild of America is threatening to strike if they can’t cut a deal with some of the biggest studios in the business. And if that happens, popular late-night programming like The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and The Daily Show with Trevor Noah and weekly shows like Saturday Night Live could be the first ones to go dark.

These shows have been fixated on lampooning the president – poking fun at him night after night and, in the case of Saturday Night Live, centering its shows around a public takedown of President Trump.

But those shows could go on hiatus a deal isn’t reached soon.

HOLLYWOOD BRACES FOR ANOTHER WRITERS STRIKE

“If there is a strike what viewers would see is a ripple effect,” said Johnathan Handel, an entertainment lawyer and contributing editor for the Hollywood Reporter. “The late night shows which are scripted on a day-to-day basis…would immediately go to an improv kind of a situation and a sort of an awkwardness. Then, you’re talking about the weekly shows Saturday Night Live, for example, which could go dark or into re-runs.”

That would be a boon for Trump, who has repeatedly lashed out at SNL for making fun of him and members of his administration.  

The union threatening to strike represents television and movie writers that have contracts with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers – a group that represents Hollywood powerhouse production studios including Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, Universal Pictures, Walt Disney Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures and 20th Century FOX.

The Writer’s Guild of America voted on Monday to move forward with a strike if it doesn’t get what it wants out of negotiations with the AMPTP. The two parties returned to the table on Tuesday and they have a week to figure out a compromise and sign a new contract before the writers go on strike.

Handel said it’s difficult to tell whether a deal can be reached next week.

ALEC BALDWIN REVEALS HE’S ‘STUNNED’ BY CONTINUED POPULARITY OF TRUMP IMPRESSION FOR ‘SNL’

“Two weeks ago, there was a 3 to 1 ratio between what the writers wanted and what the studios were willing to give. There was a $350 million gap,” he said. “Where we are now in terms of a hard dollar figure is very hard to know – which is part of what makes it hard to know if we’re going down the path to a strike or to a deal.”

The number of TV shows out there is at an all-time high, but writers aren’t happy because their wages have dropped by over 20 percent. Members of the WGA say they are making less money because studios are producing fewer episodes per season which is a problem for writers that get paid per episode. 

Most writers have exclusivity contracts that prevent them from picking up extra work and writing for other shows – which means they can’t make up the difference.

“There is an irony to the so-called ‘Peak TV.’ The face that the number of scripted TV shows has basically doubled in the last year or so,” Handel said. “It’s a disconnect in two ways: One is writers get paid for writing fewer episodes. The other is that even on these shorter series they get held on exclusivity. They get put on ice, not working for the entirety of the rest of the year.”

Overall the Guild says its demands would cost the entire industry about $178 million dollars.

But if writers go on strike the cost could be much more for writers and studios.

Scripted shows scheduled to premiere this fall could see their debuts delayed and fans of The Walking Dead and American Horror Story might get fewer episodes because of the strike.

Summer TV would look a lot more familiar with airtime being filled with more re-runs and reality shows until writers and studios are able to work things out.

Overall a strike is bad news for production studios, writers, and viewers. But its great news for network TVs biggest rivals – Netflix and Hulu.

Streaming services could see a big boost in traffic as people switch to streaming new shows online instead of sitting through re-runs.

The last writers strike was a decade ago, in 2007, and lasted 14 weeks. 

But Handel said studios won’t be entirely crippled by a potential strike.

“The studios have a lot of ability to make lemonade out of lemons in this situation,” Handel said. “Most of them are units of much larger companies so a strike doesn’t necessarily move the needle materially in terms of what the investment community looks at.”

Hillary Vaughn is a graduate of the Junior Reporter program at Fox News. She is now a multi-platform journalist and occasional general assignment news reporter. Follow her on Twitter: @vaughnFNC

ESPN to lay off about 100 employees today, including on-air talent

Apr 26, 2017 20

It’s a dark day at ESPN.

The sports broadcasting network sent a memo to employees early Wednesday, informing them that a series of previously announced layoffs would take place today. The number of employees cut will be around 100, Fox News has learned. 

The memo, from ESPN President John Skipper, noted that the network’s new talent lineup will be announced soon. The layoffs are expected to impact some of the network’s popular on-air personalities.

“Dynamic change demands an increased focus on versatility and value, and as a result, we have been engaged in the challenging process of determining the talent—anchors, analysts, reporters, writers and those who handle play-by-play—necessary to meet those demands,” Skipper wrote to employees. “We will implement changes in our talent lineup this week. A limited number of other positions will also be affected and a handful of new jobs will be posted to fill various needs.

“These decisions impact talented people who have done great work for our company. I would like to thank all of them for their efforts and their many contributions to ESPN.”

ESPN TO CUT ON-AIR TALENT

Fox News has learned that ESPN employees were being informed of the cuts early Wednesday. A source with knowlege of the situation told Fox News that despite buzz that the planned number of layoffs has grown in recent weeks, the gameplan was always to cut around 100 people. 

ESPN also outlined the network’s new strategy in a post on its media website published Wednesday. The company is placing an increased focused on its ESPN App with a “multi-screen approach around big events.”

“On the horizon is more live news video and enhanced video and audio streaming,” the release stated.

ESPN also plans to bolster its online presence.

“Our goal continues to be to maximize our unparalleled scale in every medium with storytelling that stands out and makes a difference. We are well-equipped to thrive going forward by embracing these themes.