An areal flood warning is continuing in our area through this afternoon.
The National Weather Service had originally scheduled the surface water flood warning in Bartholomew, eastern Johnson and Shelby counties to expire at 11 a.m. this morning.
The agency is reporting 2 to 4 inches of rain fell yesterday and on top of the already saturated ground and Wednesday’s rain, that is causing flooding throughout the area.
The areal flood warning now expires at 5 p.m. today.
Authorities are warning the public not to drive into high water over roadways. Dispatchers say that there have already been several incidents on State Road 11 south of Columbus that have led to water rescues. Those going around barriers are being ticketed.
Authorities say you do not know how deep the water is, how swift its moving, or what is below the water’s surface. And you are not only putting your own life at risk, but also the lives of rescuers trying to save you.
Indiana Conservation Officers are reporting that they were called to 26 of these high water related emergencies from yesterday afternoon until this morning in southern Indiana.
River flood warnings will continue in our area through Sunday and Monday in some locations. Minor to moderate flooding is forecast. The worst river flooding in Bartholomew County is along the Driftwood River which is having moderate flooding. The flood warning for the Driftwood is in effect until Monday afternoon, according to the National Weather Service
The agency in Indianapolis says a flood warning on Haw Creek will expire this afternoon with minor flooding. Flat Rock River at Columbus is having minor flooding and that flood warning lasts through Sunday morning. East Fork White River in Columbus will continue under a flood warning through Sunday evening, with minor flooding.
East Fork White River in Seymour is under a flood warning through Tuesday. Moderate flooding is forecast.
The Bartholomew County Emergency Management Agency is reporting the following high water spots and road closings as of 12 p.m. Friday:
- 800 N/500 E
- Tannehill Rd @ 330 W
- 300 S west of 250 E has water over the road.
- 600 N/Marr Rd
- 580 West, N of Old Nashville
- 10000-blk of Old Nashville
- 200 W/Lowell Rd
- 200 W at W 100 N
- 600 N/150 E
- E 225 N FROM SR9 TO NEWBERN RD
- 700 N / 100 W to 250 W
- W 550 N, east of US31, road is covered
- N 1200 E NORTH OF E 200 N
- Golden Maize Dr Candlelight Village
- Marr Rd, north of Sawin Dr, and south of the river and Bridgepoint
- E 550 N/N 400 E
- 600N/ EAST OF 325E
- 50W NORTH OF 550N
- 11TH/ IOWA ST
- Pleasant Grove between 7th and Mckinley
- SR11, between SR46 and Garden City
- SR11, north of 550 S
- Southern Crossing between SR11 and 150E
- 400N between River Rd and US31
- 930S between 300W and 400W
- 800 S between SR11 & US31
- 930 S/SR58
- S Gladstone in the S-Curves
- Longshore Dr at Rocky Ford Rd Candlelight Village
- E 450 N, between 250 E AND Talley Rd
- 250 S , west of 400 W
- 400 W, between 850 S and 930 S