The Indiana Department of Transportation closed State Road 3 Monday at a bridge in Decatur County between South County Road 700 West and South County Road 800 West. Crews have been contracted to remove the existing structure at Turnover Creek, north of Sardinia. INDOT says that a new single-span concrete beam bridge measuring 76 feet in length will be constructed at the site. At the same time, a nearby concrete culvert will be removed and replaced.
Dave O’Mara is the state’s contractor for this $2.6 million project. INDOT officials add that five other small structures will be replaced under this contract, each requiring a closure of up to 20 days. Those culvert locations are:
• S.R. 3 at Wyaloosing Creek in Decatur County, 16.1 miles north of S.R. 7, north of Westport
• S.R. 3 at Poplar Root Creek in Decatur County, 8.6 miles north of S.R. 7, between CR 1300S and CR 1400S
• S.R. 3 over an unnamed creek tributary in Jennings County, 1.9 miles north of S.R. 7, just north of North Vernon
• S.R. 7 over a tributary to Six Mile Creek in Jennings County, 0.3 miles north of the S.R. 3 junction at North Vernon
• S.R. 3 over an unnamed tributary in Jennings County , 2.6 miles south of the S.R. 7 junction at Vernon
Detour signs route motorists around the State Road 3 closure site. This closure will affect more than 2,600 vehicles per day.