Greenwood roundabout work to begin in early April

Indiana Department of Transportation personnel met with Greenwood officials, consulting engineers and contractor representatives last week at Seymour District offices to discuss plans roundabout construction at the intersection of Smith Valley Road and Madison Avenue, located east of U.S. Highway 31.

INDOT says that Greenwood is paying 20 percent of the project’s $2,882,875 total cost. The Federal Highway Administration funds the remaining 80 percent. Dave O’Mara is the prime contractor.

Utility work is set to begin early next month. INDOT says that actual roundabout construction is tentatively scheduled to begin June 1st. A 90-day closure is anticipated at the worksite during Phase I. A closure of up to 30 days will occur during Phase II at Meridian Street.

As part of the project, a “jug handle” loop will be built linking eastbound Smith Valley Road with northbound U.S. 31. Crossroad Engineers of Beech Grove is scheduled to provide day-to-day onsite supervision.