Gas leak closes Caldwell Place

Caldwell Place in Columbus was closed down for several hours yesterday, after a backhoe hit a gas line.

Columbus firefighters report that they were called to the scene at about 10:13 a.m. yesterday after a crew from American Utilities breached the two inch gas line while working in the 2400 block of the street. Vectren arrived to repair the line and the street was reopened a few hours later.

Capt. Mike Wilson with the Columbus Fire Department said local homes and businesses were alerted to the leak, but no one had to be evacuated and no one was injured. Vectren told the fire department that the gas line had been marked before work began in the area.