Coroner’s office rules death was accidental

The Bartholomew County Coroner’s Office says that a 40-year-old Bartholomew County man who was found dead in his home January 21st died of an overdose of loperamide. Jay Frederick, deputy coroner, says the drug is the active ingredient in the over-the-counter anti-diarrheal medication Imodium.

Bartholomew County Coroner Clayton Nolting says that toxicology tests showed that at the time of death the man had an extremely high amount of loperamide, a drug which can cause fatal cardiac dysrhythmia in large doses.

The man’s death has been ruled accidental.