German Township firefighters extinguished a car fire in Taylorsville after the owner noticed smoke coming from under his dash while he was driving.
Deputy Chief Matt Lynch, spokesman for the fire department, said they first got the call at about 5:15 p.m. Saturday on a report of a burning car at a gas station on U.S. 31. When firefighters and the Bartholomew County sheriff’s department arrived the car was fully engulfed in flames. They quickly knocked the flames down but a fuel leak kept feeding the fire. Overall, firefighters used about 2,000 gallons of water plus foam to extinguish the blaze.
The car’s owner explained that he recently had a new cigarette lighter installed and wondered if that might have been the cause of the fire.