Millions of pounds of hot dogs recalled over pieces of bone

Jul 15, 2017 37

FSIS(NEW YORK) — More than 7 million pounds of hot dogs are being recalled after consumers reported finding pieces of bone and cartilage inside, according to officials.

The Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced on Saturday the nationwide recall of 7,196,084 pounds of Sabrett hot dog products, made by Marathon Enterprises Inc. between March 17, 2017 and July 4, 2017.

The affected products are stamped with “EST. 8854” inside the USDA mark of inspection.

Officials with the food safety agency discovered the problem through their online complaint system on July 10, with several accounts describing “extraneous material, specifically pieces of bone…found within the product.”

At least one minor oral injury was reported by someone who ate one of the recalled dogs, according to FSIS, but there were no other injuries reported as of Saturday.

FSIS advises consumers to throw away the affected hot dog products or return them to the place of purchase. For more information on the recall, click here.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Ex-convict misses job interview to save motorist; community rallies behind him

Jul 15, 2017 50

WABC-TV(BRIDGEPORT, Conn.) — Aaron Tucker was on his way to a job interview in Connecticut on Wednesday in hopes of turning his life around after serving nearly two years in prison.

The 32-year-old father had hopped on a public transportation bus near a halfway house in Bridgeport, where he’s been living since June after serving a prison sentence for a weapons charge. The bus was traveling through Westport when Tucker saw a serious car crash that left a vehicle overturned, according to ABC station WABC-TV.

Tucker jumped off the bus to help without hesitation, despite the bus driver informing him he wouldn’t be able to get back on.

“I asked the bus driver, ‘Are you going to help?'” he said in a recent interview with WABC-TV. “He said, ‘No, and if you get out, I’m going to leave you.’ I seen the car smoking up, and the bus driver was still talking. The car started smoking, so I just ran out.”

Tucker and employees from a nearby auto repair shop pulled the injured driver from the wrecked car. The male driver was transported to a local hospital. His condition is unknown.

“Someone needed my help, and that’s what I did,” Tucker told WABC-TV. “I helped them.”

Tucker missed his interview, but said he has no regrets.

“If it happened again, I’m going to continue to do it, because it’s the right thing,” he told WABC-TV.

Word of Tucker’s selfless act spread quickly throughout the affluent community of Westport. Resident Karin Dale called the halfway house where Tucker lives and spoke to him to get his permission to start a GoFundMe page on Thursday to raise money for him and his family to help get them back on their feet.

As of Saturday, the fundraising page had already secured more than $23,000 in donations from hundreds of people.

In addition to the monetary donations, Dale told ABC News that people have also offered clothes and help preparing for job interviews to Tucker as well as to other residents of the halfway house. Tucker is “overwhelmed” by the flood of donations and support, she said.

“No matter what happened in the past, he’s a good guy and he needs a break,” Dale told ABC News in a telephone interview Saturday. “I think he’s proven what his character’s like.”

Tucker insists he’s no hero and said the experience has been a humbling one. He plans to use some of the money raised to start a college fund for his son.

“I feel that they’re better people than me, taking the time out to help me and my son,” Tucker told WABC. “I appreciate that.”

Although Tucker missed his job interview Wednesday, Dale told ABC News that the employer gave Tucker a second chance and rescheduled the interview for Saturday afternoon. Dale offered to personally drive him to the interview in Stamford.

Dale said she and Tucker have been talking via telephone regularly over the past few days and have formed a friendship. They plan to take each of their sons out to dinner after Tucker’s interview to celebrate.

“He loves his boy. When he talks about him, he really genuinely beams through the phone,” Dale told ABC News. “He loves him and wants a different path for his son than he had. He didn’t have a dad in his life and he wants to break the cycle.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Ex-convict misses job interview to save motorist; community rallies behind him

Jul 15, 2017 50

WABC-TV(BRIDGEPORT, Conn.) — Aaron Tucker was on his way to a job interview in Connecticut on Wednesday in hopes of turning his life around after serving nearly two years in prison.

The 32-year-old father had hopped on a public transportation bus near a halfway house in Bridgeport, where he’s been living since June after serving a prison sentence for a weapons charge. The bus was traveling through Westport when Tucker saw a serious car crash that left a vehicle overturned, according to ABC station WABC-TV.

Tucker jumped off the bus to help without hesitation, despite the bus driver informing him he wouldn’t be able to get back on.

“I asked the bus driver, ‘Are you going to help?'” he said in a recent interview with WABC-TV. “He said, ‘No, and if you get out, I’m going to leave you.’ I seen the car smoking up, and the bus driver was still talking. The car started smoking, so I just ran out.”

Tucker and employees from a nearby auto repair shop pulled the injured driver from the wrecked car. The male driver was transported to a local hospital. His condition is unknown.

“Someone needed my help, and that’s what I did,” Tucker told WABC-TV. “I helped them.”

Tucker missed his interview, but said he has no regrets.

“If it happened again, I’m going to continue to do it, because it’s the right thing,” he told WABC-TV.

Word of Tucker’s selfless act spread quickly throughout the affluent community of Westport. Resident Karin Dale called the halfway house where Tucker lives and spoke to him to get his permission to start a GoFundMe page on Thursday to raise money for him and his family to help get them back on their feet.

As of Saturday, the fundraising page had already secured more than $23,000 in donations from hundreds of people.

In addition to the monetary donations, Dale told ABC News that people have also offered clothes and help preparing for job interviews to Tucker as well as to other residents of the halfway house. Tucker is “overwhelmed” by the flood of donations and support, she said.

“No matter what happened in the past, he’s a good guy and he needs a break,” Dale told ABC News in a telephone interview Saturday. “I think he’s proven what his character’s like.”

Tucker insists he’s no hero and said the experience has been a humbling one. He plans to use some of the money raised to start a college fund for his son.

“I feel that they’re better people than me, taking the time out to help me and my son,” Tucker told WABC. “I appreciate that.”

Although Tucker missed his job interview Wednesday, Dale told ABC News that the employer gave Tucker a second chance and rescheduled the interview for Saturday afternoon. Dale offered to personally drive him to the interview in Stamford.

Dale said she and Tucker have been talking via telephone regularly over the past few days and have formed a friendship. They plan to take each of their sons out to dinner after Tucker’s interview to celebrate.

“He loves his boy. When he talks about him, he really genuinely beams through the phone,” Dale told ABC News. “He loves him and wants a different path for his son than he had. He didn’t have a dad in his life and he wants to break the cycle.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

EasyJet eyeing Austria for post-Brexit base

Jul 15, 2017 39

easyJet(VIENNA) — A U.K.-based airline is jetting off to Austria after Brexit.

EasyJet plans on setting up a new company, easyJet Europe, in Vienna after the U.K. leaves the European Union.

In order for the company to keep flying between EU member states after Brexit, easyJet must have an air-operator certificate in a member country, according to the BBC.

EasyJet said its application was “well-advanced.”

In a statement, easyJet said: “While the new structure will protect all of easyJet’s current flying rights within Europe, easyJet will continue to push for the U.K. and EU to reach an aviation agreement which, at a minimum, will enable flights between the U.K. and EU.”

A spokeswoman for Prime Minister Theresa May told the BBC that the government is working to achieve the best deal for business.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Popular bridal dress chain abruptly closes stores, leaving some brides-to-be stranded

Jul 14, 2017 49

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Brides-to-be across the U.S. are feeling jilted after a nationwide bridal dress chain suddenly closed its stores after nearly 80 years in business.

On some of its shuttered storefronts, Alfred Angelo Bridal advised brides-to-be and their wedding parties to contact its lawyer via email.

According to ABC affiliate WZZM-TV in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Patricia Redmond, a lawyer for Alfred Angelo Bridal, said the company was planning to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy to liquidate its assets.

On its website, the chain says it has more than 60 stores and sells gown collections at nearly 1,400 retailers in the U.S. and worldwide. It was not clear just how many stores were abruptly closed Thursday. Employees were reportedly informed Thursday during a call.

Some customers raced to stores Thursday and Friday after receiving last-minute advance warnings from some stores that had called to say that they were closing and that customers had to pick up dresses.

At one of the chain’s locations in Washington state, Victoria Vaugh was just one of several brides-to-be trying to get a dress they said they’d ordered and paid for.

“I’m just really frustrated,” she told ABC affiliate KOMO-TV in Tukwila, Washington.

Similar scenes played out at many of the company’s locations across the U.S., from Massachusetts to California. Some women even called the police for help, when they arrived at stores and found doors locked shut with dresses still inside.

According to WZZM-TV, Redmond, the lawyer for the chain, said there would be more information in the next week.

“It typically always gets better after the bankruptcy filing for customers who have goods that have already been purchased,” Redmond said, according to WZZM-TV. “I will have a list of dresses that have been sold and are on hand and we will go through them to get them delivered as soon as possible. We want to do as much damage control as possible.”

Neither Redmond nor the company, with headquarters in Delray Beach, Florida, responded to requests for comment from ABC News.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Student appears to topple art sculptures while taking a selfie at LA museum

Jul 14, 2017 41

The 14th Factory(LOS ANGELES) — Video surveillance footage from a Los Angeles pop-up museum features a selfie attempt gone horribly wrong, ending in what’s said to be a loss of sculptures valued at $200,000.

The incident took place two weeks ago inside an art installation room at The 14th Factory art exhibition in Lincoln Heights, Los Angeles, a museum spokeswoman told ABC News.

In the video a woman can be seen trying to take a photo of herself when she appears to lose her balance and knocks into an art display, causing a domino effect that takes down 11 identical display pillars, each with a sculpture on top. Three of the sculptures were permanently destroyed, totaling $200,000 in damages, according to the museum.

According to the spokeswoman for The 14th Factory, the woman seen on the video and apparently responsible for sending the art tumbling was a student. The nonprofit is calling the incident an accident.

The sculptures in the space were made of brass, nylon, gold plate, marble, wood, stone and metal.

The spokeswoman said the student, whose name was not released, was apologetic and offered the museum a donation. The museum would not disclose whether or not they accepted the donation or the amount.

Although the sculptures were not insured, The 14th Factory said it will not be suing the student to recover damages. It is believed that the video was leaked by a staff member at the exhibition, the spokeswoman added.

The exhibit features works by artists Simon Birch, Gloria Yu, Gabriel Chan and Jacob Blitzer.

All four artists have not yet responded to ABC News’ request for comment.

If visitors want to see this installation and all others at The 14th Factory, they can reserve their entry on the exhibit website.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Dow hits another record as stocks close higher

Jul 14, 2017 43

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Another record close for the Dow as Wall Street closed higher on Friday.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 84.65 (+0.39 percent) to finish at 21,637.74.

The Nasdaq gained 38.03 (+0.61 percent) to close at 6,312.47, while the S&P 500 finished at 2,459.27, up 11.44 (+0.47 percent) from its open.

Crude oil was over 1 percent higher with prices at $47 per barrel.

Winners and Losers:  Shares of Sprint Corp. soared 4 percent after the Wall Street Journal reported the company’s chairman, Masayoshi Son, met with Warren Buffett about an investment.

Weaker-than-expected earnings and a downgrade by JP Morgan caused CyberArk Software Ltd. to tumble 16 percent.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Fiat Chrysler recalls over a million vehicles due to fire, air bag risks

Jul 14, 2017 38

GIUSEPPE CACACE/AFP/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) is voluntarily recalling more than a million vehicles in the United States over issues with alternators and airbag wiring.

The automaker says approximately 442,214 vehicles need to have their alternators replaced. This includes Chrysler 300 sedans, Dodge Chargers, Dodge Challengers and Dodge Durangos from model years 2011 to 2014; and 2012-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokees.

“Certain alternators supplied to the Company may be subject to premature diode wear following frequent load cycling, at or near maximum amperage, in hot ambient temperatures,” FCA said in a press release. “The diode wear may cause illumination of an instrument-cluster warning light and/or the presence of a burning odor or smoke.”

So far, FCA is aware of two accidents that may be linked to the issue.

FCA is also announced in two separate press releases that it is recalling over 500,000 vehicles to “provide additional protection for certain wiring that accommodates air-bag function.” The recalls affect 2011-2015 Dodge Journey crossovers and 2011-2012 Dodge Grand Caravan minivans.

The automaker says the wiring in these vehicles may “chafe against pieces of steering-wheel trim, potentially causing a short-circuit. This may lead to a second short-circuit that is potentially capable of generating inadvertent deployment of the driver-side front air bag.”

A total of 13 minor injuries potentially related to the issue have been reported so far.

Customers affected by the recalls will be notified via mail and will be able to get a fix free of charge at their local dealers.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

D23 Expo kicks off in California

Jul 14, 2017 40

ABC News(ANAHEIM, Caif.) — Fans are ready to experience the D23 Expo in Anaheim, California. The Expo includes celebrity appearances and exclusive sneak peeks for upcoming films.

Disney unveiled their plans for Star Wars-themed attractions. Construction has begun at both Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in California.

“A project this size literally takes thousands of people,” Scott Trowbridge, creative portfolio executive at Walt Disney Imagineering, told ABC News.

The Disney archives have opened up the vault for the three day event displaying everything from the boats of every Pirates of the Caribbean movie to original designs for Belle’s gold ballroom gown worn by Emma Watson in Beauty and the Beast and Angelina Jolie’s forest robe from Maleficent.

Other attactions for guest include The Lion King through virtual reality goggles, Spiderman will teach kids flexibility skills and there’s even a real money pit full of “gold coins” like the one from the show Duck Tales.

Disney is the parent company of ABC News.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

70 years since Tropicana pioneered mass production of Florida orange juice

Jul 13, 2017 80

Jack Andersen/Getty Images(CHICAGO) — For 70 years, Tropicana has been adding to the American breakfast by getting freshly-squeezed orange juice from Florida into grocery stores across the U.S.

The brand was created by Italian immigrant Anthony Rossi, who developed flash pasteurization and pioneered orange juice transport in 1970 via train from Florida to New York.

“He figured out how to bring OJ to people beyond just where it’s grown and so this is a story that we’re really proud of, proud that it was an idea born here in the U.S., and we’re proud that we continue to make it here in the U.S.,” said Becca Kerr, the vice president and general manager of Tropicana North America.

All of the oranges for Tropicana orange juice are grown in the U.S., the vast majority coming from Florida. The company uses Valencia oranges, as well as others, working with more than 100 growers and more than 500 groves, many owned by families. In 1988, PepsiCo bought Tropicana Products, Inc.

The processing plant operates 24 hours, seven days a week, employing employs 900 workers. There are 2,000 to 2,500 workers who pick oranges.

“The pride that you feel when you walk in our plant is palpable. They’re so happy and excited that they’re the ones making this product that you’re buying on your shelf, that you’re putting on your kitchen table,” Kerr said. “The work that they do squeezing the juice, it’s just like you would do squeezing it at home, but on a much bigger scale. And we’re making it really easy for you. It’s just oranges in there.”

The processing plant can make 2.5 million cartons a day. An average of 48 million oranges are picked daily and, eight hours later, they are juiced. The harvesting district runs from Orlando to the Everglades and the harvest season extends from Thanksgiving through Memorial Day.

“‘Made in America’ means a lot because I’ve been drinking Tropicana juice for over 50 years,” said Mitch Willis, senior manager of global procurement. “I know that my community, where I grew up, was part of Tropicana. My friends were part of Tropicana.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.